Year 5 / 6 - 2020 - 2021
Class Teacher: Miss Mainwaring
Teaching Assistant: Mrs J Jackson
Welcome to Ocean webpage
This term our project is: World War II
Please see 'Seesaw' for homework activities
Even though your child can read independently, it is really important that you still listen to them read, as well as reading aloud to them. This will allow them to develop their understanding of the text- through questioning and discussion - and to learn the meaning of new words they may be unfamiliar with.
Our guided reading sessions follow the following structure:
- Finding the definitions and discussing the meaning of new words in a text
- Reading the text
- Discussing and answering questions- retrieval of information, making inferences, predictions and focusing on vocabulary
- Summarising the text
When listening to your child read please:
- Make sure you check their understanding of words
- Practise their scanning techniques to find words and phrases quickly on a page e.g. can you find the word ‘evolution’
- Ask questions to develop their understanding e.g. Why did x happen? What is the largest mammal found in the world? Why do you think x was feeling frustrated? How do you know that x is upset? What do you think will happen next? How has the author used humour in this text?
- Read a variety of genres and text types
PE will take place every Wednesday afternoon. Please ensure that your child comes dressed in their PE kit on this day.